Sunday, October 21, 2007

Light Rail Blues - Query From A Reader

Recently, one of my loyal readers, Johnny Wraith, in the comments section, asked me a couple of questions that I thought were particularly pertinent to the subject that my series, Light Rail Blues, addresses. Additionally, he made the request that I write a particular type of story. Rather than just post my answers in the comments section of this blog, I decided to make his questions, and my answers, more visible to the general readership.

On Sunday, October 21, 2007, at 7:11 AM, Johnny asked,

"How will the light rail affect the taxi business?" and "If you could earn more by being a light rail operator, would you rather be a light rail operator?" This was his story request: "Please tell us a story about ladies changing their clothes in the back of your cab." Well, at least Johnny knows what he wants!

Here are my responses:

Johnny, you have a asked a couple of very good questions. Unfortunately, right now, I'd have to say that the answer to both is, "I don't know."

As to the first question, there are too many ridership variables to easily quantify the solution.

Here's one example: how many people, who are currently using taxis to get around, will use the light rail instead? Any positive number would tend to decrease taxi revenues.

Here's another: how many people, who are currently using their cars for an entire trip, will take a cab to a light rail stop, use the train to their destination (or to a system system exit point, and use a taxi for the balance of their trip)? A positive number here would tend to increase taxi revenue.

Taken all together, will the net effect of all the possible variables result in increased taxi revenues? Well, we're back to square one: I don't know. I think you'd agreed a simple answer to this question will require significant study and calculation.

My gut feeling, based on how low I predict ridership will be from the start (and for at least a few years) is that the net effect on the cab economy will be negligible overall. This is especially true for me, as especially to me, as I work the whole Valley; the Light Rail corridor is a small segment of my market. However, I do think that those drivers who specialize in serving areas adjacent to the light rail corridor may have to make adjustments.

Would I want to be light rail operator, instead of a cab driver, presuming I could make more money? Hell, I might do it for less money, if the benefits package is favorable. Right now I work about twelve hours a day, six days a week, and any benefits I get are paid for directly out of my pocket. This is because I am an independent contractor, and not an employee. As a light rail operator, I presume I would work a standard forty-hour week, as an employee, with benefits. Yes, I know that the cost of benefits are paid by employees, in the form of a lower gross salary or wage, but after all is said and done, net disposable income is what really counts, as it is what buys a lifestyle.

So, I think johnny's question really becomes, if you could have a better lifestyle as the result of becoming light rail operator, would you make the change? Probably. At least, as a light rail operator, I'd probably work quite a few less hours. And my chances of becoming the victim of an act of senseless, random violence or robbery would probably be substantially smaller. That's got to count for something, wouldn't you say?

As for me writing a story about ladies changing their clothes in the back of my cab? Well, I'm willing to produce such a story, but right now it will have to be fiction. Such an event hasn't taken place in my reality. Yet. But who knows? Maybe with time... be patient. And check back with me on a regular basis. I can't predict when ladies will want to change their clothes in the back of my cab. Or what I will do if it happens!

Thanks for your questions and request, Johnny. I'm glad to see that someone is paying attention.

Sincerely,

The Cab Guy

3 comments:

Johnny Wraith said...

Now I am wondering whether your choice to be a light rail operator instead of a cab driver would in any way be affected by your perspective of how valuable a service the light rail provided the public at large, as opposed to that of taxi service. In short, if both jobs paid exactly the same amount via bi-weekly checks, but the light rail operator job provided health and dental care as well, would you still be a light rail operator instead of a cabbie if you knew the light rail’s net contribution to the public was more congested traffic when cab service was not? And, let us assume some day in the future a supermodel changes in the back of your cab and then sticks her feet in your face and asks you if you will suck the toenail polish off for $1,000.00 The job, we’ll assume, will only take 5 minutes. What will you do?

Ronald Matthew Kelly said...

Johnny,

As to question number one: as you know, I am a pragmatist. This means that first of all I must look to making sure that my needs are met, then worry about everyone elses. Once I've got mine, I'll root for, or even help, everyone else get their's. All else being equal, I'll take being a light rail operator, with medical and dental benefits, over being a cab driver, even if the light rail leads to more congestion.

Now, having made this choice, I realize I might be giving up the opportunity to suck the polish off of a supermodel's toenail, and earn a cool $1000 in the process. But I'm okay with that. And let me tell you why.

First off, how often will the opportunity come along? I'm guessing it won't be often enough that any recurring $1000 toe-sucking fees will outweigh the cumulative benefit of having medical and dental coverage.

And suppose the supermodel accidentlly kicks me in the teeth due to ticklishness, and I lose a tooth? And also transmits her foot fungus to me? Boy, won't I look foolish then? Toothless and fungus-ridden!

Pardon me for saying so, but if you would just lay off the Yellow Tail wine a little, you'd might sober up enough to think these things through for yourself. Not saying you have too... I'm just throwing it out there for your benefit.

As always, I remain, Yours Truly,

The Cab Guy

Johnny Wraith said...

You've done a good job not putting your foot in your mouth, or anyone else's for that matter, by being the honest, pragmatic, and thoughtful guy you have always been.