Friday, November 30, 2007

Down Time and Weather Report

I guess technically I should have called this post "Weather Report and Down Time," since I'm going to talk about the weather first, but it's my blog, and I'll do want I want. Plus, I just like the way it sounds.

Right now as I type this post, it is raining. That's right, you read me right. It's RAINING! In Phoenix, Arizona, the good old P to the H to the X and that's the PHX!

This is not "mist" or "drizzle" or the "don't worry, you can run between the drops" kind of rain. This is actual, by God, things are getting wet, puddles are forming, "I wish I rolled up my car windows" kind of rain. Sure, by the standards of a lot of places, when it's all done, it won't amount to much.

But rain in Phoenix is special. It's a reaffirmation of life. It makes the air smells fresher and cleaner. It's how cars get washed. It causes the rate of rear-end collisions to sky-rocket.

What? Yeah, you read me right. Rain causes the incidence of rear-end collisions to rise here in Phoenix.

Here's what happens. As cars drive down a road, grease and oil fall off the car onto the roadbed. This happens on roads all over the world. You would think that this would make the roads slicker, but it doesn't. In most places, it rains enough that the slippery goo washes away before building up too much, so it doesn't become a problem.

In Phoenix, things are a bit different. We don't get a lot of rain. It's not really uncommon to go months at a time between rains, so you can see that the oily, greasy goo builds up on the roadbeds. When the road is dry, this isn't much of a problem, because in the great scheme of things, it's not a lot of goo, and it tends to hide in the pores of the asphalt.

But when it rains, watch out! For the first few minutes of the rain, the goo starts to rise, then the action of the goo and water being squeezed between the roadbed and tires starts to turn it into a mousse-like substance, which can really be slick. You really can't see it very well with the naked eye. You kind of have to look at the roadbed at an oblique angle, with a light pointing to the road, and reflecting back to your eyes to see the telltale "rainbow" of oil on top of the water.

This wouldn't normally present a huge problem, but other factors come into play. Because it doesn't rain much, a lot of people here in Phoenix don't pay much attention to the tread depth of their tires. Shallow tread, or even "slick" tires aren't much of a problem on dry roads. But when the roads get wet... Well, you get the picture.

Plus, Phoenix seems to be the tailgating capital of the world. Also, so many people commonly travel at speeds very much in excess of the speed limit, even on city streets, not to mention the freeways.

Put all these factors together, and it's a recipe for disaster. It wouldn't surprise me to hear of a at least one, and possibly several, multi-car tailgate chain-reaction type collisions before the end of the day.

As for me, I'm staying off the road today. I'll be leaving for Tucson in a few hours, to visit with Johnny Wraith, but between now and then I'm staying inside, listening to the rain, and getting a few things done around the old homestead. So far, my laundry is done, although I haven't hung everything up yet (I'd rather write than do laundry any day of the week). The floors are vacuumed, the sheets are changed on my bed, and I've sorted through the stuff that just seems to pile up, and thrown out a bunch of junk. Next I'll tackle the dishes, clean the kitchen and bathroom, and be done just it time to hit the road to Tucson.

A weekend of fun and debauchery in the company of my old pal, Johnny Wraith, awaits. We'll poor one back, to salute the rain, and one more to salute all of you. The rest we'll just pour back for effect. And what an effect they shall have on us! I don't imagine I'll be able to see straight much past nine o'clock tonight! Cheers!

I hope to see you out there on the road. Just not so close in the rear view mirror, okay!

Sincerely,

The Cab Guy

PS - I've promised to reveal the sordid details of how I almost got fired, and why I ultimately did switch cab companies. I'm working on those articles. But I want to let Johnny Wraith (yes, he really is a lawyer) review them before posting. I'll get them up as soon as I can. Stay tuned: there's lots of drama!

2 comments:

Kyt Dotson said...

I just got back from being a cheerful miscreant on Mill Ave.

The rain started sluicing down yesterday probably right before midday for me while I was sitting in the office and wondering about exactly that – the accident rate. It continued pretty much all night and the second thing I wondered happened to pivot around whether or not I’d be able to go to Mill tonight.

Weather and whether nothing has stood in the way of me visiting the old Ave, and there have been numerous reports in the local newspapers about how the thunderstorm and the subsequent torrential rainfall would not suspend the Art Fair out there. This that I blissfully missed by not coming around while it was in force, leaving only the hollow white tents of the merchants to greet me.

The rain did not continue into the late evening (9p.m. and all was "dry.")

Although there is something eerily cheerful about streets that are closed to traffic.

I hope that the Tucson visit goes well. Those sordid details do have me on the edge of my seat.

Ronald Matthew Kelly said...

Dear Kyt,

Yeah, that rain was really something else. It made a regular hash of my trip to 'The Old Pueblo,' aka Tucson. Or as we used to call it when I was attending Arizona State University, 'That Filthy Slum In Northern Mexico.'

(Take that Ruben Castro. You know who you are!)

I got into my Old Reliable at about 340pm on Friday, to start my trip to Tucson. First, I stopped at the Cricket phone store to get some long distance time, then it was off to the Quick Trip gas station for some gas, and a superlarge soda. Oh, and a pack of smokes. Of course.

Turning on the radio, I heard about collisions all over the freeway system. There was a huge one at I-10 and Elliot, or Warner, or Ray, or maybe all three, it doesn't matter, all were between me an my goal. By taking alternates to alternate routes, I managed to complete the first twenty miles of my journey in one hour, the first sixty-five in about two hours, while the whole trip, just 135 miles, took three-hours and fifteen minutes.

Rain in Arizona can really suck ass sometimes.

As for the sordid details about why I left my last cab company, they'll be arriving in in-boxes all across America real soon. I probably should have made this into a contest. People are already submitting guesses.

The Cab Guy