Saturday, November 10, 2007

Semper Fidelis

Today is the 232nd anniversary of the founding of the United States Marine Corps. I just wanted to let you all know this, if you didn't, and relate an amusing anecdote that shows how dedicated my Dad, a former Marine, was to his Beloved Corps.
My family moved to Phoenix after my dad retired as a Captain from the United States Marine Corps in 1971. At that time, my parents bought the first house they ever owned, or, for that matter, lived in for more than two years.

When the phone technician came to install our service, he asked my father if he would like to have a phone number with the last four digits holding special significance. He chose 1775, which was available.

Supposedly the tech said, "Don't you mean 1776, the year the USA became a country?"

"No," my Dad said, "I mean 1775, the year the United States Marine Corps was born!"

In 1979, I was to have entered the USMC through the PLC (Platoon Leader's Class) program. Sadly, I was disqualified by a back injury that occurred just days before I was to have formally started the program. I remain, to this day, disappointed that I could not serve.

My dad died in 1989, but his beloved Corps lives on.

Semper Fi, Dad! Semper Fi, Marines!

To "The Few, The Proud, The Marines," Happy Birthday!

Sincerely,

The Cab Guy

No comments: